slide2 slide3 slide4

Queen Elizabeth School

 
 

History of the school
The site now occupied by Queen Elizabeth School originally accommodated the first government school in 1898. old school pictureThe buildings were later used as a junior school and in January 1940, the Girls' modern School was founded. Once the Queen's permission had been obtained, the name was changed to Queen Elizabeth, after Queen Elizabeth, the consort of King George VI.
Miss Robson the headmistress at the time wanted the name for the school because she felt the Queen had those qualities that she would like to see in her girls – simplicity, sincerity and kindness. During the Royal tour in 1947, the Queen made a surprise visit to the school in 1952 the school, which previously had offered a general course with no external examinations became a school, which offered both academic and general courses.
The present School badge was designed to coincide with the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. The symbolism of the badge is derived from the armills or bracelets ( a type of bracelet, one of the garments that are included in a regalia, symbolically known as  the bracelets of wisdom and sincerity) the use of which was revived after an interval of nearly 400 years. The wording of the badge is taken from the opening words of the prayer, "Receive the bracelets of sincerity and wisdom..." the shape of the badge is circular to remind us of the Lord's protection embracing us on every side and the Tudor rose is the symbol that reminds us of royalty and the honourable name of the school.

After the coronation the school was presented with portions of the blue and gold woven
Hangings used in Westminster Abbey for the ceremony. These were framed and hung in the Beit Hall Foyer in 1956. Throughout the history of the school, the parents have made a significant contribution to its progress. The pavilion was completed in 1961 and in 1963 the school swimming pool was built- both from the efforts of the parents. Later in 1969 a borehole was sunk, in 1973, the gymnasium was erected, and over the years, money was raised for tennis courts, hockey fields and various pieces of equipment.
From its inception, the school has offered a variety of extra-mural activities and these have
Always been regarded as an important part of the pupils' education. Today, in addition to the many cultural pursuits there are fifteen sporting disciplines on offer. From the early days the school has inculcated a spirit of service to the community and in particular, the less fortunate. Every year has seen an involvement in projects for the community. Ultimate goal is to equip our pupils with the knowledge and skills to enable them to achieve success be self-disciplined, show respect for others and make a meaningful contribution to society.

 

Coming Soon.